Quayside Charters Passenger Overboard Sydney Australia

Unknown Male, 19 – Overboard Brawl, Quayside Charters Passenger, November 25, 2006, Time of Death 10:45.

Time of Cruise Ship Death

Teens who had attempted to save money on expensive dance party tickets, decided to charter a Quayside Charters cruise, for a rave party, so they could hear the music at a cheaper rate.

During the cruise, about 10.45pm, a drunken brawl broke out on the ship, and an innocent bystander, lost his footing and fell overboard, as he watched the brawl near a railing.

The 19-year-old man feared drowned in Sydney Harbor, after striking his head on the other boat before hitting the water. He has been reported as being from Sydney’s eastern suburbs and was described by police as a keen sportsman. He had been on the boat with his girlfriend.

The vessel was moored in Farm Cove alongside another boat, as passengers listened to the bands play.

Several of his friends jumped into the harbour but neither they nor a helicopter or police boat managed to find any trace of him.

Four police divers used sonar scanners to scour the harbor bed in Farm Cove without success.

Police said the skipper of the boat, a 31-year-old man, has been charged with allegedly recording a blood alcohol level of 0.055 after the accident and has been issued with a court attendance notice after he failed a breath test for alcohol consumption.

The cruiser had been among a flotilla of charter and recreational boats crowded into the cove to eavesdrop on the huge Harborlife dance party in the harborfront Royal Botanic Gardens.

The head of the Sydney Marine Area Command, Detective Superintendent Terence Dalton, said there were between 30 and 40 people on the boat at the time of the accident, though the boat was only licensed for 26 passengers.

A group of friends had originally purchased tickets to the sold-out concert at almost $100 each, but later sold their tickets and pooled together with others to charter the boat as a cheap alternative to hear the concert, police said.

Police are investigating precisely how many people were onboard the boat, what role alcohol played in the incident and whether there had been any safety breaches in the operation of the vessel.