Cotton Coulson Cruise Ship Passenger Death National Geographic Explorer

Cotton Coulson, Cruise Ship Passenger Diving Death, National Geographic Explorer Tromso, Norway May 27, 2015, Time of Death Unknown.

Time of Cruise Ship DeathCotton Coulson

Cotton Coulson, 63, died while diving off the coast of Norway on a National Geographic Expeditions and Lindblad Expeditions cruise aboard National Geographic Explorer on Wednesday, May 27, 2015.

The incident took place on Sunday, May 24, the fifth day of the cruise. Colson and his diving partner were diving in cold water to capture images that would be shared with the passengers on the cruise when Coulson signaled to his partner to ascend, according to members of the cruise team.

After Coulson lost consciousness, he was helped to the surface, taken back to the cruise ship, transported to a hospital in Sandnessjoen, Norway, then transferred to a larger facility in Tromso where he later died.

Coulson, a photographer, shot more than 40 stories for National Geographic and National Geographic Traveler. He spent most of his career in Europe, shooting and filming a range of assignments extending from the Arctic and Scandinavia to Italy and France.

In a posting on, an article filed under “Daily Expedition Report Detail” dated May 27, 2015 states, “We tied up at the waterfront in downtown Tromso this morning. With a population of just over 90,000 this is the largest city in northern Norway. Located on the island of Tromsoya, the settlement has been joined by bridge to the mainland since 1960. The earliest evidence of human presence in the area dates back some 9,000 years. The Vikings established a base here, and by the 15th century a thriving trading town had developed with strong links with Bergen. . . . The remainder of our stay was spent at leisure in this attractive city. In the late afternoon, with all guests safely back aboard, National Geographic Explorer sailed off towards the Barents Sea, saying farewell to our dear friend with three blows of the ship’s horn.”

There is no recognition of Cotton Coulson’s incident while in the cruise port, nor his death that very day.